June 21, 2011

Check It Out - PBS Explores The World of Two-Spirit (Twin Spirit) People


This documentary is powerful, rich, full on information, and also heart breaking. Lydia Nibley did a fantastic job! I am going to purchase a copy. I identified not only with the culture and spirituality, but with all of the stories overall. I knew I was differently at the age of 4, and expressed it. I wasn’t lucky to express it very often. But I found my way as a teen. Though with many obstacles. I didn’t have a supportive mother then. But today it a better relationship I have with her than before. Slow progress. She not being traditional in our ancestors ways and all.

As a self identified American Indian, when I caught wind of this documentary I was happy beyond belief that this aspect of our people made its way to digital media! As we mentioned in our second episode of our podcast most American Indian tribes acknowledged the GBLT community and accepted us as being part of the tribe. In some circles we are still considered gifts to the community, village, and tribes.

I cried alot. for myself a bit, mostly for Pauline, and F.C.. I will never forget Fred Martinez and his mother Pauline Mitchell! They will always be in my hearts and prayers! I am going to purchase a copy. We have a widget on the right side-bar of this page for Amazon.com. Where you can find the documentary for purchase as well.

Also, you can donate to support the efforts of the producers of this documentary as well as to donate to Pauline Mitchell, Fred Martinez's mother at:

http://twospirits.org/donate/

Enjoy,
Henry




Watch the full episode. See more Independent Lens.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...